The cat’s out of the bag, and no, it’s not Schrödinger’s cat.
My team has elected the next project leader for the next project, an autonomous greenhouse, which is basically a building-sized robot that feeds itself and grows/harvests food for humans.
Interestingly enough, but not surprisingly so, they chose a project management algorithm to lead the project, giving over all decision making and late night number crunching to a software team member who/which won’t need weekly meetings or summary reports to get its point across when fingers are pointed toward the causes of failures in achieving project goals.
The algorithm already mines Bitcoins to generate revenue for the project so cost has all but been eliminated from concerns on this project.
Practically eliminating humans from the design and construction phase reduces labour costs; so, too, during operation and maintenance.
The algorithm has a flexible set of milestones to complete the design and construction, this being a new project for all involved.
I trust my team.
However, I’m building my own scale version of this to compare one human’s design to that of an algorithm.
In my case, cost is of paramount importance, labour cost is primarily my free time and schedule is within a few weeks/months depending on weather conditions and my free time.
Wish me luck!
Stretching 40- and 30-year warranty to the limit on this 27-year old lumber in the woods!
Note the surprise lily that only blooms when it's wet in late spring
Time to design a new privacy screen for the storage area under the deck — fun, fun!
In the continuing saga of the Summer of 2014 “Back to Nature” Staycation, I think I have decided upon the artform I want to portray on the front deck…
…sorta like primitive outsider art, using the media of weathered wood marquetry, such as the wood inlay artwork below, by Jonathan Calugi:
…almost like this:
…incorporating these images (from here, here, and here):
…to create an abstract image in painted wood that will resemble this:
rather than these (from here and here):
Ultimately fading like an old barn or brick building advert:
The old lattice sections have been removed and ready for dismantling, salvaging the nonrotten pieces.
But first, the deck must be reinforced with new braces attached between deck and posts/beams as partially implemented below:
Before removing the lattice sections, I cut out honeysuckle and wisteria vines that had interlaced between and warped individual lattice boards, discovering some unusual lifeform (placed on top of flat carpenter’s pencil for size comparison):
It’s hot outside…time for a lunch break.
Now that the backyard privacy fence is complete, time to refresh the look of the front deck, starting with the broken latticework underneath, which used to look like this:
Here are some of the patterns I’m considering, reusing the old lattice work strips where possible:
Or if I’m really ambitious, I’ll turn it into a wood-and-metal mixed media display, something like this:
Merlin and Erin would have selected one design for me, I’m sure…
…after they watched the butterflies, hummingbirds, bees, birds, chipmunks and squirrels, of course.
What the cabin in the woods looked like under construction in April 1987, still with the same latticework today in 2014 — time to bring the deck into the 21st century!:
When shopping is a sport, an exercise, a transaction and an indescribably historical experience.